WHEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS MEDICINE
You should not use this medicine if you have had an
allergic reaction to azithromycin, or any macrolide antibiotic (such as erythromycin).
HOW TO USE AND STORE THIS MEDICINE
Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how
often. Keep taking the medicine for as long as your doctor tells you, even if you feel
better. If you stop the medicine too soon, your infection may come back. Keep all medicine
out of the reach of children.
- Take the capsules on an empty stomach (at least one hour
before a meal or two hours after a meal).
- Store the capsules at room temperature, away from heat,
direct light, and moisture.
If you miss a dose:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
DRUGS AND FOODS TO AVOID
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other
medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use azithromycin with antacids (such as
Di-Gel®, Gelusil®, Maalox®, Mylanta®, and others).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking theophylline,
a blood thinner such as Coumadin®, digoxin (Lanoxin®), triazolam (Halcion®), phenytoin
(Dilantin®), Hismanal®, or Seldane®.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor
before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows or if you have liver or kidney
disease before you take azithromycin.
- If this medicine gives you severe diarrhea, check with your
doctor right away before you take any medicine to stop the diarrhea.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight
and cause a rash. Avoid being in the sun for long periods. Protect your skin with a strong
sunscreen or clothing when outdoors.
Call your doctor right away if you have any of these side
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Rash or hives with intense itching
- Swelling in face, mouth, or throat
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Severe vomiting
If you have problems with these less serious side effects,
tell your doctor.
- Nausea or stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Mild diarrhea or loose stools
IF YOU HAVE OTHER SIDE EFFECTS THAT YOU THINK ARE CAUSED
BY THIS MEDICINE, TELL YOUR DOCTOR